A Rambling About Photography

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Start of Baseball, Basketball Winds down

Baseball started this weekend, and I do not know if I should be happy or sad about this. Our baseball team has been mediocre at best. Last year after enduring a 5 and a half hour game in which we lost, I swore off our baseball team. After Friday and their 11-2 win over No. 5 University of San Diego I thought things were looking up again. I could not shoot that game, but I was heading to the game at USD on Saturday morning. 

USD's field is pretty interesting, it is nestle right below a steep hill and their stands rise up about 40 rows. The seats are only about 50 feet wide though and very steep. Needless to say, there is not much seating, and not much space around the whole facility. There is a designated photo area by the first base dugout. It is elevated, so there goes any chance of seeing a batters eyes. The dugouts are so small that a full squad has quite a time fitting in the dugout without the umpire yelling at them to keep back.

This shot was taken as the USD players were cheerleading. I thought I was at a softball game with as much cheering as they were doing. They did this little chant while the pitcher was about to pitch the ball. You do not see this much in baseball so I thought it was a cool frame.




for a 17-11 game, there was little action in the field. There were four homeruns and countless walks. SDSU went through at least 6 pitchers. I caught this frame of right fielder Cory Vaughn diving (and missing) a hit into shallow right.


After leaving baseball in the 7th inning with the score 16-8, I headed back to the office to pick up my gear for remotes. Tip off for the game was not until 8PM I got there to set up at a little before 6PM. I wanted to set up a camera in the rafters shooting directly down on hoop. Results can be seen a little further down. 

This game was against BYU, the Mountain West Conference leader at 10-1. We had lost to them in Provo, Utah by one (we should have beat them then), and we had to win this game in order to stay in the middle of the pack. First of all, I would like to say how upset I was about there not being pizza before the game. I think everyone was a little moody because of this. 

This frame is a kind of cliche image, but it was the best tipoff shot I have gotten all season.

Like I said before, I had my remote set up. I love using the 40D for remotes. The LiveView feature is a lifesaver! It makes focusing sooooooooooo much easier. I had a 70-200 at about 95mm shooting almost all of the key, just in case. I wanted to try it this game with ambient light. I was at 1/400th f5 3200 ISO. 3200 ISO on the 40D is like 800 on my 20D. I set the focus at the very bottom of the net, and that seemed to be just about right. I was pretty happy with this frame and I hope to use this set up a lot more in the future!

So, we ended up winning. I was pretty surprised, but BYU couldn't shoot anything that was not a three pointer, and even they came out flat in the second half. The fans were pretty excited, even a few ran out on the court. It was pretty stupid, BYU is the leader of our crappy conference. If we beat Tennessee or Duke, then rush the court, not against BYU when the game means anything. Oh, well it was still fun!


I do not know what is going to happen this next week, all I know is I need a break! I am going home next weekend and I am looking forward to getting some time off. It has been a pretty hectic schedule for me as of late. Do not know what I am going to be shooting this week, but I should post some stuff Wednesday!

Glenn

No comments: