A Rambling About Photography

Friday, February 22, 2008

Think Pink

Softball started this past weekend, and I had a deadline for our Baseball/Softball preview. 5 games in 3 days (well I only shot 3!) but it was a ton of fun. The games started at 4:30PM so I had about 45 minutes of some really nice light coming from left field of the SDSU Softball Stadium. This game on Saturday against Tulsa was preceded by a ceremony honoring players family members who were battling or had beaten cancer. The "Think Pink" theme was represented by all athletes this past week and the softball players donned pink and white visors and accessories.

Here I caught the players in their cheer just before their game started. The light was just about perfect.



Not very much action early in the game while there was light other than this double play being turned by freshman Taylor Sutton.


I was trying to get a good shoot to shot off the idea of "Think Pink" and this shot with all the visors in the background really caught my "eye."


This week I also got the opportunity to shoot the production of "The Vagina Monologues." It was interesting to say the least, awkward most of the time. I was the only male in the dress rehearsal. The actresses all performed very well and it was actually quite funny at times. The lighting was pretty rough, shooting at f2.8 ISO 1600 at 1/80 of a second. If there was any movement, my image was screwed. Luckily the setup they had allowed for some pretty cool perspectives. 


I was just playing around with some ideas, shooting 1 second exposures and zooming in/out with my 24-70. I kind of liked the way they turned out. I wish I had a flash with me, but did not think I would be able to use it. Had I known how open they were with me shooting, I could have gotten some cool long exposure shots. Next time I guess!



Should have fun this weekend, tomorrow is the first baseball games and a men's basketball game against Mountain West Conf. leader BYU. I will be setting up a remote above the rim in the rafters. Should be pretty interesting, its the first real remote I have set up this year. I should write again tomorrow night with some images from the games. 

If you have any comments feel free to let me know. I relish anything I can learn.

Glenn

1 comment:

David J. Olender said...

Glenn,

great photos...especially that baseball dive....amazing! I'm so glad I've got to know you and your talent...you are 'one of a kind....' sports photgraphy you've conquered....you know the angles and emotion.... and when the right shot is perfect...your photography is second to none...capturing the emotion....you are going places...congrads on you recent awards...
much respect and admiration

dave